Access from golf club (ask permission first). The site is between the 2nd hole and 3rd tie box.
Ardglass provides all weather protection for boats and easy offshore access in most weather conditions. The slipway is 20m long and 4m wide. Contact the harbour master in advance (02844841291/07990648274) as this is a busy fishing harbour. Public toilets can be found at 3 Castle cove in the town and there is car parking at the North Pier on Quay street.
- Difficult entry, slip and trip hazards.
- Many golf balls and discarded fishing gloves on seabed.
- Wayward drives off the 2nd tee!
The rocky coastline around Ardglass is formed of strongly folded sedimentary rock which creates unusual underwater gullies, which are full of marine life. One of which ends in a small sea cave (a European Species and Habitats Directive Annex I Habitat).
The walls of the gullies support kelp forest and a rich faunal community, which is particularly rich in sponges and anemones. Species recorded here include the scarce southern cup coral Caryophyllia inornata, a Northern Ireland Priority Species, and dense colonies of the baked bean sea squirt Dendrodoa grossularia. are rich in life, particularly sponges and anemones.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here
- Ardglass Harbour Master: 028 44 841291 / 07990648274
- When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 12