By boat from Dunseverick, Portballintrae or Portrush Harbour. The site is below the north east side of Bengore Head (midway between the Giant’s Causeway and Dunseverick Harbour).
Portballintrae Harbour has a slipway (although access is tight and the harbour can be busy during peak holiday times), free car parking on Beach Road, above the Harbour, and public toilets above the harbour wall.
Portrush Harbour offers free car parking above the harbour, public toilets in the harbour office and a slipway on the North Pier. There is a barrier to the harbour which is staffed during office hours, 7 days a week from April – September.
Fees apply for berthing at both Portballintrae and Portrush; for use contact Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860.
Dunseverick Harbour has public toilets (open daily from 8am), free car parking and a slipway, although note that the harbour is shallow and the slipway is prone to seaweed build up which can prevent launching. Fees apply; contact Ballycastle Harbour Office: 02820768525 / 07803505084.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
The site is subject to strong currents.
Flat bedrock with raised outcrops, transitioning to a boulder and cobble field with pockets of pebbles and gravel.
The flat bedrock is covered in patchy red algae and a dense faunal turf including the bryozoan species hornwrack (Flustra foliacea), Securiflustra securifrons and Ross coral Pentapora foliacea. The sandalled anemone Actinothoe sphyrodeta and the sponge Haliclona viscosa are also present at the site.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portrush/Portballintrae Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860
- When navigating within the harbour, use VHF Channel 12.
- Dunseverick/Ballycastle Harbour Office: 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Dunseverick or Ballycastle Harbour, use VHF Channel 80.