By boat from Bangor, Groomsport or Whitehead. The site is located off the shore beneath Blackhead Lighthouse.
Free car parking and toilet facilities are available at Whitehead car park, above the Whiteharbour slipway. Whiteharbour is privately owned. For access call the Harbour Master: 028 9338 2549. Groomsport has two slipway launching points and access to public toilets on Harbour road. Car parking is available adjacent to the harbour. Free car parking is available above Bangor Marina and public toilets are available at South Pier. The slipway to the north of the car park is primarily a means of launching Bangor’s Atlantic 85 lifeboat and use is restricted to season ticket holders and Bangor Marina/harbour users. For more information, visit: http://www.quaymarinas.com/cookie-preferences-page/
Nearest tank filling is DV Diving, Mount Stewart, Newtownards.
A sandy and muddy seabed gently sloping to a depth of 14 metres. Large silty boulders are present on the upper slope, with some pebbles.
Dense kelp dominates the boulder wall. Biodiversity is relatively low, although some various fish species are found amongst the kelp, including the reticulated dragonet Callionymus reticulatus.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Bangor Harbour Master: 028 9145 3297. When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 11.
- Groomsport Harbour Master: 028 9188 2377
- Whiterock (Whiteharbour) Harbour Master: 028 933 82549