By boat from Portballintrae. The site is approx. 1.4km north east of Portballintrae harbour.
Portballintrae Harbour has a slipway (although access is tight and the harbour can be busy during peak holiday times), free car parking on Beach Road, above the Harbour, and public toilets above the harbour wall. Fees apply for berthing; for use contact Portballintrae/Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
Rock pinnacle with large flat top at ~22m and steep sides dropping to 27m at its base. Some low lying bedrock outcrops are found on the seabed at ~27.5m as well as boulder areas.
Dominated by Hornwrack Flustra foliacea and Securiflustra securifrons. The nudibranch Okenia elegans has been recorded at the site.
View all species records from this siteA link to the dive site location on the NBN Atlas Northern Ireland website, showing all species records from within a 1km boundary of the site centroid. Any new species records from the site submitted to Seasearch, iRecord, CEDaR Online Recording or iNaturalist will appear here
Skerries and Causeway Survey 2012
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here
- Portrush/Portballintrae Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860
- When navigating within the harbour, use VHF Channel 12.
Leave a Comment
Dived here recently? Then let other divers know about this site from your experience!