By boat from Portrush Harbour. The site is approx. 300 metres south of Castle Island (between Large Skerries and Little Skerries)
Portrush Harbour offers free car parking above the harbour, public toilets in the harbour office and a slipway on the North Pier. There is a barrier to the harbour which is staffed during office hours, 7 days a week from April – September. Fees apply; for use contact Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Portstewart (028 7083 2584)
- Swell can be strong here.
- Lobster pots (with lines) are present
Sloping bedrock with boulders at its base and kelp forest
Kelp forest, mixed seaweeds and a short animal turf dominates the rocky seabed. Many sponge species are found at the site, including Amphilectus fucorum, Clathrina coriacea, Polymastia boletiformis, and Elephant’s hide sponge Pachymatisma johnstonia. A variety of hydroids and sea squirts also occur on the site.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307. When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 12.