For a shore dive, follow the Park Road to the entrance to Castleward (‘Winterfell Castle and Demesne’). From here, follow the round as it bends round to the left, with the shore on the right, being wary of walkers. Park on the lay-by next to an old stone walled boathouse (signed for Canoe Trail). Enter the water here and swim out until you reach a depth of ~7 metres to find the seagrass. Alternatively contact the Strangford Yacht Club to request accessing the site from the slipway.
For a boat dive from Strangford/Portaferry/Killyleagh, enter the water near the moorings at the mouth of Castleward Bay.
Car parking on the lay-by next to the old boathouse, or alternatively at Strangford Yacht Club, where toilets are also available, however access is restricted to yacht club members. Free car parking, slipways and public toilets are available in Portaferry, Strangford and Killyleagh, if diving from a boat.
Nearest tank filling: DV Diving, Mount Stewart, Newtownards
- Recreational boat traffic (this site is surrounded by boat moorings).
Mixed sediment seabed with gravel, pebbles and mud, with many boat moorings and associated debris.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here
- Portaferry Harbour Master: 028 9188 2377
- When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 80.