By boat from Rathlin or Ballycastle. The site is in the middle of outer Church Bay.
Rathlin Harbour has pontoons for around 40 boats. Water and electricity are available on the pontoon but there is no reliable source of fuel. Public toilets are available in Church Bay between the harbour and the pub, near the playground.
Ballycastle Harbour has a gated slipway (open during office hours) and pontoon berthing. Free car parking is available above the harbour and marina. Free public toilets are available in the visitor information office above the harbour.
Berthing fees apply for both Rathlin and Ballycastle Harbour Office; for use of either, contact the Ballycastle Harbour Office: 02820768525 / 07803505984.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
- Strong tidal currents at this site, close attention to tide times essential.
- The site lies within the Ballycastle – Rathlin ferry channel and recreational boat traffic can also be busy (surface marker buoy and vigilant boat cover essential)
A mixed sediment seabed comprised of mud, broken shell, unsorted sand, cobbles and some small boulders.
The site supports a diverse faunal community, which includes the sea beard hydroid Nemertesia antennina and Ross coral Pentapora foliacea. 18 species of nudibranch were recorded here in 2019 by the Rathlin Dive Expedition team, including the rare Knoutsodonta oblonga. Other species of interest recorded here include the imperial anemone Capnea sanguinea and the Bryer’s nut crab Ebalia tumefacta.
View all species records from this siteA link to the dive site location on the NBN Atlas Northern Ireland website, showing all species records from within a 1km boundary of the site centroid. Any new species records from the site submitted to Seasearch, iRecord, CEDaR Online Recording or iNaturalist will appear here
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Ballycastle/Rathlin Harbour Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Ballycastle or Rathlin Harbour, use VHF Channel 80.
Leave a Comment
Dived here recently? Then let other divers know about this site from your experience!