By boat from Portmuck or Ballylumford Harbour. The site is beneath East Maiden Lighthouse.
Portmuck Harbour provides free car parking, a slipway and public toilets. The pier is 25 metres long, 6.5 metres wide and in good condition.
Free parking, a slipway, public toilets and outdoor changing facilities are available at Ballylumford Harbour as well (access to slipway restricted to Islandmagee Boat Club members; email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Nearest tank filling is DV Diving, Mount Stewart, Newtownards.
- Fishing gear has been spotted floating in the water (snagged lines)
A vertical rocky wall descending to approximately 18m. This gently slopes out to a flat, mixed sediment seabed with sparse boulders.
The bedrock is covered in dead men’s fingers Alcyonium digitatum. Several Northern Ireland Priority Species of hydroid can be found here including, Diphasia alata, Diphasia nigra, Polyplumaria flabellata and Lytocarpia myriophyllum. They are all characteristic of the site and the Maidens are a stronghold for these species in the British Isles.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portmuck/Ballylumford Harbour: 028 9336 6666