By boat from Rathlin, or Ballycastle, Harbour. The site is directly beneath the north tip of Farganlack / ‘Lack’ Point
Rathlin Harbour has pontoons for around 40 boats. Water and electricity are available on the pontoon but there is no reliable source of fuel. Public toilets are available in Church Bay between the harbour and the pub, near the playground.
Ballycastle Harbour has a gated slipway (open during office hours) and pontoon berthing. Free car parking is available above the harbour and marina. Free public toilets are available in the visitor information office above the harbour.
Berthing fees apply for both Rathlin and Ballycastle Harbour Office; for use of either, contact the Ballycastle Harbour Office: 02820768525 / 07803505984.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
- Strong tidal currents, eddies and overfalls occur all around Rathlin Island
A steep basalt bedrock wall beneath Farganlack/Lack Point with many gullies. The wall drops dramatically from 17 metres down to 163 metres.
The site supports a diversity of marine life, especially sponges, with 22 species recorded here in 2019, including the rare Phorbas plumosus, a southern species. Keep an eye out for the aeolid nudibranch Aeolidia filomenae, also recorded from this site.
View all species records from this siteA link to the dive site location on the NBN Atlas Northern Ireland website, showing all species records from within a 1km boundary of the site centroid. Any new species records from the site submitted to Seasearch, iRecord, CEDaR Online Recording or iNaturalist will appear here
Rathlin Dive Expedition 2019 Report
Northern Ireland Marine MapViewer
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Ballycastle/Rathlin Harbour Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Ballycastle or Rathlin Harbour, use VHF Channel 80.
Leave a Comment
Dived here recently? Then let other divers know about this site from your experience!