By boat from Rathlin or Ballycastle Harbour. The site is approximately 2km east of West Lighthouse, beneath the North Wall.
Rathlin Harbour has pontoons for around 40 boats. Water and electricity are available on the pontoon but there is no reliable source of fuel. Public toilets are available in Church Bay between the harbour and the pub, near the playground.
Ballycastle Harbour has a gated slipway (open during office hours) and pontoon berthing. Free car parking is available above the harbour and marina. Free public toilets are available in the visitor information office above the harbour.
Berthing fees apply for both Rathlin and Ballycastle Harbour Office; for use of either, contact the Ballycastle Harbour Office: 02820768525 / 07803505984.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
- Strong currents, eddies, overfalls and a named whirlpool, Slough-na-more
Very exposed and steep bedrock wall with gullies.
The sea walls on Rathlin’s North Walls are covered with dense marine life. This site is excellent for spotting a diverse range of hydroids, bryozoans, squirts and sponges. Antho brattegardi, a yellow, conspicuous, encrusting sponge, and a Northern Ireland Priority Species, is found on the steep rock faces. In the summer look out for diving seabirds.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Ballycastle/Rathlin Harbour Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Ballycastle or Rathlin Harbour, use VHF Channel 80.