By boat from Portrush Harbour. The site is approx. 100 metres west of Island Bartan (between Large Skerries and Castle Island)
Portrush Harbour offers free car parking above the harbour, public toilets in the harbour office and a slipway on the North Pier. There is a barrier to the harbour which is staffed during office hours, 7 days a week from April – September. Fees apply; for use contact Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Portstewart (028 7083 2584)
Vertical and very steep bedrock wall leading onto boulders at 14-27 metres. Rock silted with some crevices and fissures. There is a long rocky gully and swim through heading in a southerly direction between Large Skerries and Castle Island (from approx. 55.224020, -6.6338 to 55.222845, -6.6333894)
The upper parts of the wall support a kelp park, while the lower wall and boulders support a rich faunal community dominated by dead man’s fingers Alcyonium digitatum, and Devonshire cup corals Caryophyllia smithii , the sandelled anemone Actinothoe sphyrodeta, the finger bryozoan Alcyonidium diaphanum, urchins Echinus esculentus and the northern starfish Leptasterias muelleri.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307
- When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 12.