By boat from Portmuck or Ballylumford. The site is ~50m off the north point of Portmuck Island.
Portmuck Harbour provides free car parking, a slipway and public toilets. The pier is 25 metres long, 6.5 metres wide and in good condition.
Free parking, a slipway, public toilets and outdoor changing facilities are available at Ballylumford Harbour as well (access to slipway restricted to Islandmagee Boat Club members; email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Nearest tank filling is DV Diving, Mount Stewart, Newtownards.
- The site is moderately exposed, particularly to the eastern side of the island, and caution is required
A vertical bedrock wall, 2-3m high with crevices and often heavillly silted. The seabed at the base of the wall is characterised by small boulders on fragmented shell, which slopes downwards into pebbles and cobbles.The seabed flattens out at approx. 19m where it is made up of sand and gravel.
A diverse community of anemones, crustaceans, sponges, soft corals, hydroids, sea squirts and nudibranchs. The non-native invasive red alga species Bonnemaison’s hook weed Bonnemaisonia hamifera has been recorded here.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portmuck/Ballylumford Harbour: 028 9336 6666