By boat from Ballycastle Harbour, the site lies beneath Kenbane Castle headland.
Ballycastle Harbour has a gated slipway (open during office hours) and pontoon berthing (fees apply). For use contact the Ballycastle Harbour Office: 02820768525 / 07803505984. Free car parking is available above the harbour and marina. Free public toilets are available in the visitor information office above the harbour.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
- Very strong tidal currents off Kinbane Head.
- Boat traffic.
A rocky reef on an uneven seabed with some patches of coarse sand and gravel.
Sea urchins are often seen grazing amongst the dense kelp kelp forest which covers the rocky seafloor. The small (and rare) nudibranch Cuthona nana has been observed at this site.
View all species records from this siteA link to the dive site location on the NBN Atlas Northern Ireland website, showing all species records from within a 1km boundary of the site centroid. Any new species records from the site submitted to Seasearch, iRecord, CEDaR Online Recording or iNaturalist will appear here
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Ballycastle Harbour Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Ballycastle Harbour, use VHF Channel 80.
Leave a Comment
Dived here recently? Then let other divers know about this site from your experience!