By boat from Portrush Harbour. The site is the wall on the south west side of Large Skerries.
Portrush Harbour offers free car parking above the harbour, public toilets in the harbour office and a slipway on the North Pier. There is a barrier to the harbour which is staffed during office hours, 7 days a week from April – September. Fees apply; for use contact Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Portstewart (028 7083 2584)
- The area immediately south of the Skerries can have tidal streams of up to 6 knots.
Beneath the south facing bedrock wall of Large Skerries, the seabed is comprised of a mixed sediment of gravel and coarse sand.
The top of the bedrock wall is cloaked in kelp. Seagrass has been reported previously on the seabed to the east.
View all species records from this siteA link to the dive site location on the NBN Atlas Northern Ireland website, showing all species records from within a 1km boundary of the site centroid. Any new species records from the site submitted to Seasearch, iRecord, CEDaR Online Recording or iNaturalist will appear here
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307.
- When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 12.
Leave a Comment
Dived here recently? Then let other divers know about this site from your experience!