Follow Seacliff Road in Bangor towards Jamaica Inn. Car parking is available in the lay-by outside the waste water pumping station. Access the site from the shore beneath the east side of the pumping station.
Free car parking along Seacliff Road. Public toilets are available near Bangor Marina.
Nearest tank filling is DV Diving, Newtownards.
- Minor slip hazards at LW.
- Recreational boat traffic in the area.
The seabed here is made up of a mixture of bedrock and coarse sand/shells.
Anemones, sea squirts, urchins and featherstars are all found on the bedrock at this site. Mixed seaweed dominates the course sand where divers can see starfish, crabs and fish including gobies and dragonets. The rare nudibranch Hancockia uncinata was recorded here in August 2020. This was the first record for this species in Northern Ireland! The same diver, Phil Wilkinson then identified the stalked jellyfish Calvadosia campanulata when diving at the site again the following month. This species has only been recorded in Northern Ireland 4 times previously and is listed as a Northern Ireland Priority Species due to its rarity.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here
- Bangor Harbour Master: 028 9145 3297
- When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 11