By boat from Ardglass Harbour. The wreck is beneath the shore ~1km SW of Ballyhornan Island.
Ardglass provides all weather protection for boats and easy offshore access in most weather conditions. The slipway is 20m long and 4m wide. Contact the harbour master in advance (02844841291/07990648274) as this is a busy fishing harbour. Public toilets can be found at 3 Castle cove in the town and there is car parking at the North Pier on Quay street.
- Rusty metal in gullies and metal wires
A sloping bedrock wall with boulders up to 2 metres wide, leading down to a seabed of cobbles and pebbles. Much of the superstructure of the ship is buried beneath the sediment, with small fragments of the wreckage scattered on the seabed.
Date of loss 22/01/1973.
A Dutch Coaster (480 tonnnes), which caught fire 1 mile SSW of Guns Island (IrishWrecksOnline.net)
The wall supports a kelp park made up of Laminaria hyperborea and dabberlocks Alaria esculenta. The velvet swimming crab Necora puber is common here.
View all species records from this siteA link to the dive site location on the NBN Atlas Northern Ireland website, showing all species records from within a 1km boundary of the site centroid. Any new species records from the site submitted to Seasearch, iRecord, CEDaR Online Recording or iNaturalist will appear here
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Ardglass Harbour Master: 028 44 841291 / 07990648274
- When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 12
Leave a Comment
Dived here recently? Then let other divers know about this site from your experience!