By boat from Portballintrae or Portrush Harbour. The site lies at the eastern end of the Giant’s Causeway in the middle of the Amphitheatre bay.
Portballintrae Harbour has a slipway (although access is tight and the harbour can be busy during peak holiday times), free car parking on Beach Road, above the Harbour, and public toilets above the harbour wall.
Portrush Harbour offers free car parking above the harbour, public toilets in the harbour office and a slipway on the North Pier. There is a barrier to the harbour which is staffed during office hours, 7 days a week from April – September.
Fees apply for berthing at both Portballintrae and Portrush; for use contact Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
A gently sloping seabed composed of large boulders, bedrock outcrops and mixed sediment.
The boulders support kelp park and a short animal turf, including colonial sea squirts. Mobile fauna amongst the boulders and cobbles includes sea urchins and crabs. The bootlace worm Lineus longissimusis is recorded here, it produces a mucus which is toxic for crustaceans.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portrush/Portballintrae Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860
- When navigating within the harbour, use VHF Channel 12.