Park at Portrush Harbour car park (if you can find a space!). Enter the water from the slipway or pontoons (access code required) and dive beneath the north harbour wall. Important to get permission from the Harbour Master prior to dive: 02870822307./ 0788981860
Portrush Harbour offers free car parking above the harbour, public toilets in the harbour office and a slipway on the North Pier. There is a barrier to the harbour which is staffed during office hours, 7 days a week from April – September. Fees apply; for use contact Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307 / 0788981860.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Portstewart (028 7083 2584)
- Boat traffic, especially in the summer months, therefore this site is only safe to dive in the winter.
- DSMB and shore cover with an ‘A’ flag required as well as permission from Harbour Master prior to dive (Tel: 02870822307).
- Be mindful of RNLI station in the harbour.
- Litter is abundant at this site with bottles, cans, fishing lines, tool equipment and chains.
The north harbour wall has large crevices which descend to a fine silt and sandy seabed (with some gravel areas). Litter is abundant at this site.
The harbour wall is covered in green sea lettuce and sugar kelp, with patches of red algae, Devonshire cup corals, encrusting pink algae and sea squirts. A number of invasive species have been recorded in the harbour such as the orange tipped sea squirt Corella eumyota, the bryozoan Tricellaria inopinata, the red algae Dasysiphonia japonica and the amphipod Monocorophium insidiosum.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here
- Portrush Harbour Office: 02870822307