By boat from Rathlin or Ballycastle. The site is at the base of the cliffs, approx. 1km NW off Rue Point.
Rathlin Harbour has pontoons for around 40 boats, however berthing fees apply. Water and electricity are available on the pontoon but there is no reliable source of fuel. Public toilets are available in Church Bay between the Harbour and the pub, near the playground.
Ballycastle Marina provides sheltered pontoon berthing for vessels up to 20 metres. The harbour master should be contacted; Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084. There are onshore facilities with showers, toilets, laundry with 24 hour pincode access and Wi-Fi.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead)
Very strong tidal currents
Limestone bedrock with some small areas of gravel and pebble.
A kelp forest of Laminaria hyperborea with many red epiphytes (incl. Heterosiphonia plumosa and Phycodrys rubens), dominates the limestone bedrock. Patches of flat and smooth bedrock are coated in a coralline crust.
View all species records from this siteA link to the dive site location on the NBN Atlas Northern Ireland website, showing all species records from within a 1km boundary of the site centroid. Any new species records from the site submitted to Seasearch, iRecord, CEDaR Online Recording or iNaturalist will appear here
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Ballycastle/Rathlin Harbour Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Ballycastle or Rathlin Harbour, use VHF Channel 80
Leave a Comment
Dived here recently? Then let other divers know about this site from your experience!