Follow the Beach Road into Portballintrae and park in the Beach Road car park. The entry point is from the beach area beneath the car park. The site is approx. 5 metres off the shore.
Parking on Beach Road or the Beach Road car park at 55.219679, -6.540833. Public toilets (including disabled) are located in the car park.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Portstewart or Ballycastle (028 7083 2584)
- Tidal surge can be strong in inclement weather.
- The beach is crowded in summer months with rock diving a popular activity.
- Avoid Runkerry beach just adjacent as it is subject to longshore currents with strong riptides.
A beautiful sheltered small bay, that can offer a great diving or snorkelling experience in good weather over the summer months.
For snorkellers: This bay is full of rocky areas, with many crevices and fissures.
For divers: A great wee dive (even though it is shallow!). Easy entry and exit from the beach. Suggest venturing out into the bay at HW. There is a small wall at approximately 55.220387, -06.543534. This vertical wall has ledges and crevices. An easy, scenic, dive.
Abundant juvenile fish (including wrasse), anemones and crustaceans amongst diverse mixed seaweed. At the small wall at approximately 55.220507, -06.543572 there are velvet swimming crabs, common prawns, and leopard spotted gobies. Dives may also see the odd shanny or tompot blenny hiding in the rocky crevices.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here