By boat from Portmuck or Ballylumford, the site lies ~200m east of Skernaghan Point.
Portmuck Harbour provides free car parking, a slipway and public toilets. The pier is 25 metres long, 6.5 metres wide and in good condition.
Free parking, a slipway, public toilets and outdoor changing facilities are available at Ballylumford Harbour as well (access to slipway restricted to Islandmagee Boat Club members; email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Nearest tank filling is DV Diving, Mount Stewart, Newtownards.
- Medium-strong current possible. Use of SMB and boat cover required.
This is a nice drift dive over a diverse marine habitat. The seabed is mostly sand and gravel, with areas of brittlestar bed. Occasional boulders are covered with the bryozoan Alcyonidium diaphanum. The site can also be dived at slack water, with the depth dictated by distance offshore.
Curled octopus are frequently spotted here.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portmuck/Ballylumford Harbour: 028 9336 6666