By boat from Rathlin or Ballycastle. The site is approx. 200m south of Sroannamaddy.
Rathlin Harbour has pontoons for around 40 boats. Water and electricity are available on the pontoon but there is no reliable source of fuel. Public toilets are available in Church Bay between the harbour and the pub, near the playground.
Ballycastle Harbour has a gated slipway (open during office hours) and pontoon berthing. Free car parking is available above the harbour and marina. Free public toilets are available in the visitor information office above the harbour.
Berthing fees apply for both Rathlin and Ballycastle Harbour Office; for use of either, contact the Ballycastle Harbour Office: 02820768525 / 07803505984.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
Very strong tidal currents
Beneath the limestone cliff face, the seabed is comprised of tide-swept bare boulders.
The boulders are dominated by pink encrusting algae and hydroids (oaten pipes hydroid Tubularia indivisa in particular). Other common species include the Devonshire cup coral Caryophyllia smithii, dead man’s fingers Alcyonium digitatum, the sponge Hymeniacidon simplicima and the sea cucumber Holothuria forskali.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here
- Ballycastle/Rathlin Harbour Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Ballycastle or Rathlin Harbour, use VHF Channel 80.