By boat from Portmuck or Ballylumford Harbour. The wreck is south of Allens Rock, to the north of the Maidens.
Portmuck Harbour provides free car parking, a slipway and public toilets. The pier is 25 metres long, 6.5 metres wide and in good condition.
Free parking, a slipway, public toilets and outdoor changing facilities are available at Ballylumford Harbour as well (access to slipway restricted to Islandmagee Boat Club members; email: email@example.com).
Nearest tank filling is DV Diving, Mount Stewart, Newtownards.
The wreck lies mostly scattered and upright with the bow pointing toward the south side of Allen Rock. The midships and bow are broken up, however the stern, propeller and rudder remain intact. The surrounding bedrock is uneven, with gullies, fissures and vertical faces. The bedrock slopes down to 28 metres at the base, where there is a coarse mixed sediment seabed.
Date of loss 28/09/1929. A Spanish steel steamship en route from Euelva to Londonderry with a cargo of copper, ore. Built Newcastle in 1890. LBD 79.24 x 11.15 x 5.08. Larn & Larn (2002).
Information derived from Historic Environment Record of Northern Ireland (HERoNI), Department for Communities, Historic Environment Division.
The wreck is covered in red and brown algae, anemones and dead men’s fingers Alcyonium digitatum. Bryozoans, sponges and hydroids dominate the rock face.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portmuck/Ballylumford Harbour: 028 9336 6666