By boat from Strangford or Portaferry. The site is approximately 2km ESE of Ballyquintin Point.
In Strangford, free parking is available above the marina and a slipway is available at the quays. Public toilets are available at the ferry terminal.
In Portaferry free car parking is available on Meeting House Street beside the arts centre, 300 metres from the harbour slipway. Public toilets are available in the town, close to Castle Park.
Nearest tank filling is DV Diving, Mount Stewart, Newtownards.
- The site is very deep and exposed.
- The wreck has an old rope attached to the boiler (entanglement hazard)
- Lots of fishing lures in and around the wreck
The vessel is sitting upright at a charted depth of 30 metres on a muddy, sandy and gravelly seabed. The wreck is 5 metres in height and the back end is scattered across the seabed.
Date of loss 01/03/1934 (or 26/02/1934). Steamship built in 1894 in Bowling. En route from Portland to Belfast with a cargo of Portland stone. Her cargo of stone blocks lie in the wreck and immediately around her. The remains of the vessel and cargo have been imaged by DAERA using side-scan sonar.
Information derived from Historic Environment Record of Northern Ireland (HERoNI), Department for Communities, Historic Environment Division.
The wreckage is covered in dead men’s fingers Alcyonium digitatum.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Portaferry Harbour Master: 028 9188 2377
- When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 80