By boat from Carlingford or Greenore. Blockhouse Island is in the middle of the entrance to the lough. From the north side of Blockhouse Island, head in a NW direction, taking Greencastle as a bearing. Follow the depth sounder and drop a shot line when you meet ~8 metres depth.
Carlingford Marina provides facilities including a slip, pontoons and toilets (visit: https://www.carlingfordmarina.com/). Public toilets are also available near to the western pier in Carlingford.
Small boats can be launched from the shore at Greenore. Free car parking is available above the launch site: https://goo.gl/maps/Xv6PPocjis3ftBMP9 The nearest public toilets are in Carlingford village.
A bedrock shelf with overlying sand and gravel. The base of the reef can be found at 19 metres.
The seabed is home to sea squirts incl. Diplosoma listerianum, and sponges incl. Amphilectus fucorum.
View all species records from this siteA link to the dive site location on the NBN Atlas Northern Ireland website, showing all species records from within a 1km boundary of the site centroid. Any new species records from the site submitted to Seasearch, iRecord, CEDaR Online Recording or iNaturalist will appear here
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Carlingford Marina Office: +353 42 937 3072
- When navigating within the harbour/marina, use VHF Channel 12/16.
Leave a Comment
Dived here recently? Then let other divers know about this site from your experience!