By boat from Rathlin or Ballycastle. The site is approx. 2.4 km west of Church Bay, hugging the shore.
Rathlin Harbour has pontoons for around 40 boats. Water and electricity are available on the pontoon but there is no reliable source of fuel. Public toilets are available in Church Bay between the harbour and the pub, near the playground.
Ballycastle Harbour has a gated slipway (open during office hours) and pontoon berthing. Free car parking is available above the harbour and marina. Free public toilets are available in the visitor information office above the harbour.
Berthing fees apply for both Rathlin and Ballycastle Harbour Office; for use of either, contact the Ballycastle Harbour Office: 02820768525 / 07803505984.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
Very strong tidal currents
A gently sloping mixed sediment plane comprised of sand, pebbles and boulders.
The site supports rich faunal diversity, with recent surveys reporting a variety of nudibranchs (14 species, including the rare Lomanotus genei), echinoderms, hydroids and crustaceans. Particular species of interest include the scarce tube-dwelling anemone Arachnanthus sarsi, an Northern Ireland Priority Species, for which Rathlin is considered to be a stronghold.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Ballycastle/Rathlin Harbour Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Ballycastle or Rathlin Harbour, use VHF Channel 80.