By boat from Rathlin or Ballycastle. The site is approx. 100m east of Stroanlea Point
Rathlin Harbour has pontoons for around 40 boats. Water and electricity are available on the pontoon but there is no reliable source of fuel. Public toilets are available in Church Bay between the harbour and the pub, near the playground.
Ballycastle Harbour has a gated slipway (open during office hours) and pontoon berthing. Free car parking is available above the harbour and marina. Free public toilets are available in the visitor information office above the harbour.
Berthing fees apply for both Rathlin and Ballycastle Harbour Office; for use of either, contact the Ballycastle Harbour Office: 02820768525 / 07803505984.
Nearest tank filling is Aquaholics in Ballycastle or Portstewart (ring ahead: 028 7083 2584)
- Strong tidal currents, eddies and overfalls occur all around Rathlin Island
This site is characterised by a gently sloping sediment plain of sand, pebbles and small boulders all along the base of the white cliffs.
The boulder slope supports a diverse community of marine invertebrates. A dive survey in May 2019 reported 13 species of hydroid, 18 species of sponge, 17 species of sea squirt and 33 species of nudibranch (sea slugs), including the rare Carronella pellucida, which has only been recorded here once before in 2006. Divers also recorded a tusk shell (Scaphopoda) and the slender sea pen Virgularia mirabilis on the seabed. The goose foot starfish Anseropoda placenta and the hermit crab Cestopagurus timidus have been recorded from this site in the past. These, and many other species found at this site are rare and are included on the Northern Ireland Priority Species list.
- In an emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Follow VHF radio Channel 16 (156.8 MHz), the international distress frequency. Send a distress alert followed by ‘MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY’ and ‘This is [boat name]’.
- Find nearest defibrillator (AED) here.
- Ballycastle/Rathlin Harbour Office No. 028 207 68525 Mobile Number 07803 505084
- When navigating within Ballycastle or Rathlin Harbour, use VHF Channel 80.